1. Religious Intolerance – this world is a great, big, beautiful place full of culture and diversity. Accept that. Your way is just that. Yours. And remember, every religion teaches that “it is the only one.” In fact, my incredibly smart daughter asked me this question, ” How come some people think they have a right to decide who is worthy of heaven?”
2. Bigots– Live behind a pointing finger and the path to truth is obstructed.
3. Sunflower Seeds that taste like ass – because they taste like ASS! There’s nothing like a mouthful of good sunflower seeds and then that one bursts in your mouth like a rotting sunflower corpse. We need sunflower sorters with x-ray vision who can see through the shell to the hell inside. I’ll pay extra.
4. Fuddy-Duds. – why is it that most people slowly sink into Fuddy-Dud land the older they get? I saw this woman in Barnes and Noble the other day with her teenage son. He’d received a CD for Christmas and without even listening to “All” the lyrics– she dismissed a pretty cool CD (Gorillaz) as bad. She nearly yelled, “Kids with guns– I can’t believe someone bought this for you!” Uh, I was told that song had a powerful message, something to do with the corruption of children in the Middle East by giving them guns… Ouch. This lady gets my all time Fuddy Dud award. And no, not because she didn’t have the open mind to at least listen to all the lyrics– which is sad – and yes, as a parent, she has every right to decide what is okay for her son — but because she yelled this loudly in a busy store and embarrassed him!
5. People who get mad at you for not calling when THEY DON’T CALL EITHER– Granted, I’m terrible at calling– the phone can suck up mountains of time and email is quicker and easier. Plus, my husband and daughter are almost always on the phone. That gets old quick. They’re both on phones right now.
6. Believing anyone with an open mind or the least little bit of a liberal attitude has no morals— Repeat after me… Stereotyping is not a good thing. And see number 1,2 and 4 again please.
7. Hypochondria– Let’s see, spend most of your life worrying that something is wrong– then you live to 100. Wow, that’s a lot of wasted time.
8. Fox News– Ugh.
9. Daytime sensational shows – Yes, I want to go on national television and prove to the world I’m an ass. And a stupid one at that.
10. Capitalized Labels – I’m a human being. I’m also a mother, a wife, a sister, a daughter, a lover and a friend. Lower case labels are good. Some of the upper case ones put us in windowless boxes that keep things like love and acceptance out. Stick some windows on your boxes and better yet, add latches.
And last but not least, all of the above can be grouped together in one big, big pet peeve.
ASS-umptions— No one has all the answers. Don’t judge a person by their color, sexual orientation, nationality, religion, job, neighborhood, etc. Don’t assume someone isn’t good because they don’t walk into a certain building every Sunday. Don’t assume someone is an idiot for misspelling a word or two– the English language is freaking twisted. Don’t make stupid assumptions on a person’s morals based on their political leanings. Don’t assume all science is bad — most of us live longer, healthier lives because of science. We were given brains for a reason. Let’s use them!
Please people! Remember, big, diverse world??? Gray areas????
Any time you dismiss someone else as wrong, you are putting yourself above them.
Get over yourself already!